Pilot of BIVIS extrusion
Fibres, MFC, molecules
From lignocellulosic raw materials:
- To produce fibres or microfibrillated cellulose (MFC) at high consistency
- To elaborate new materials by reactive extrusion
- To extract biosourced molecules of interest
The little story of the pilotIn the 1990s, CTP, in collaboration with Clextral, developed a process for producing paper fibres from wood and annual plants based on the technology of twin-screw extrusion. This technology has been developed at industrial scale with more than 40 production units in the world.
After a period less attactive for this technology, the bivis extrusion is gaining again interest with the development of biorefinery and MFC production. Therefore, CTP has decided to re-invest in a pilot machine to develop new applications.
With the financial support of AuRA region in the frame of the MaLics platform, a twin-screw extruder with co-rotative and inter-meshing screws has been installed in Septembre 2019.
Evolum™ 32 bivis extruder (Clextral)
- Flow: 5 to 20 kg/h in equivalent dry matter content
- Screw elements diameter: 32 mm
- Total length of the barrel: 1280 mm
- Motor power; 50 kW
- Rotation speed: 300-1200 rpm
- Temperature regulation of the barrel: 30 to 300°C
Extrusion peripheral tools
- Volumetric dosing system to feed the machine in raw materials with two sets of double feeding screws (chips and fibres).
- Pump with a flow of maxi 20 l/h to introduce liquids. It can be connected to each module of the extruder.
- The barrel with pneumatic opening is composed of 10 modules constituted of 1 double feeding module and 8 working modules closed (8 available) or filtrating (3 available) produced in HIP R100 anti-corrosion alloy.
- Each closed module has its own thermic regulation system and two lateral openings for injecting liquids or gas.
- The screw profile is composed of screw elements (HIP R99 alloy) with 1 or 2 conjugated filets installed on two splined shafts. The configuration with the different screw profiles can be adapted to the raw material to treat.
- The diversity of screw elements (form, length, mono-filet, bi-filet) and disks (mono-lobe or bi-lobe) allows optimising the quality of the targeted product and of the extruder flow.
Facility acquired in the frame of the MaLics platform with the support of Auvergne Rhône-Alpes Region
Also to be seen